Choreographer's Initiative 2018
What: A place for choreographers ages 12-18 to showcase their artistic voice
When: Saturday, May 12th 7:00 pm
Doors open at 6:30
Tech rehearsal May 11th 5:00-10:00pm
Where: The Life Center
7801 Hazel Ave
Orangevale CA 95662
No more than 18 numbers will be accepted into the showcase, selected by a panel of professional choreographers from the Sacramento Area from various dance genres. This is a maximum and not a guarantee that 18 numbers will be selected as finalists.
Cash Scholarships Will be Awarded
Grand Prize- $1000
Second Place- $700
Third Place- $500
Presented by Hawkins School of Performing Arts in partnership with Sacramento Contemporary Dance Theatre
Deadline: February 28, 2018
Application Fee: $35
Choreographers must submit at least one minute of recorded choreography (work does not need to be finished at the time of submission), a completed application form and the application fee by the deadline to be considered. NO EXCEPTIONS.
All materials must be submitted by completing the entry form.
- Only one work per choreographer may be submitted.
- Choreographers may not perform in their own work.
- Choreography must not exceed 3 minutes.
- Choreographers may use 1-18 dancers.
- Incomplete materials or those exceeding the time limit will not be considered.
- The video file must contain only the choreography being submitted. No exceptions.
- As size allows, videos may be emailed as .mov or .mp4 file. A YouTube link is preferred.
- Professional recordings are not required, but attention to quality, clarity and point of view are essential for accurate judging of choreography. A straight shot without edits is preferred.
- Finalists will be selected based on the materials submitted.
- Finalists chosen will perform the submitted choreography live at the Choreographer’s Initiative before a general audience and panel of judges and compete for cash scholarships. Judges will base their decisions on Creativity (50%), Point of View (20%), Originality (20%) and Musicality (10%).
- Finalists are responsible for travel arrangements and all other related expenses.
- Finalists will be posted on this website no later than March 19, 2018. Finalists will also be notified by email. Please check to be sure that your email address is correct as it is our main way of communicating with you.
- Finalists are responsible for their own music and editing and for securing their own dancers. Finalists will be provided with a link to a dropbox to deliver edited music in any format compatible with iTunes.
- Choreographers and all dancers must be available for a tech rehearsal on May 11 from 5-10 pm. Prior to this date, choreographers will be assigned a 15 minute window to set lighting and run their piece in the venue. Please keep in mind the stage is wide and shallow with a curved apron. The surface is tightly woven carpet.
- Applicants must have a supervisor from their High School or Studio to accompany them through the process.
- Selected choreographers and their dancers will be required to sign liability release forms prior to participating. No one will be permitted to rehearse or perform without signed release forms. Selected choreographers are responsible for collecting singed releases prior to the tech rehearsal date.
- By submitting an application, the applicant grants The Choreographer’s Initiative and its promoters, sponsors and affiliates the right to use their image and name, and agree to all terms of this application info sheet (to be treated as a contract between applicant and The Choreographer’s Initiative).
- Questions should be directed to CI@HawkinsSchool.com